QuoteStocker comes with a great number of download lists. But maybe you want to download quotes from a fund that is not in one of these download lists. In that case you have to find the right code for the fund and add it to one of the download lists using the ‘Edit download list’-window.
Below you’ll find a short description on how to find a code for a fund. Suppose you want to add Microsoft to a download list :
- Go to the Yahoo!-website for finding a code (Yahoo! uses the word ‘symbol’ for the code you are looking for)
- In the text field left of ‘get quotes’ you type the name of the fund, stock, index of currency you are looking for. In this case Microsoft. You will notice that as soon as you start typing, Yahoo! starts searching and shows the results in a small window below the text field. At the right side of this window you’ll see the stock exchange where Microsoft is listed. After typing Microsoft you will see several results that match what you have typed.
- Now you must find out which one you need. It can be a puzzle sometimes, but in this case you it is simply the first one when you are interested in the Nasdaq listing.
- A new page opens and above the small graph you see a link to ‘Historical data‘. When you click on this link you see that there are historical prices (as expected for Microsoft).
- As you can see, the code for Microsoft is MSFT. So, type MSFT in the Code-field and Microsoft in the Name-field. Click on the ‘Add‘-button to add the Microsoft to the selected download list.
- You can use the code (symbol) with Yahoo! and Alpha Vantage as download source. And also with IEX as download source if it is an American fund.
Interested in QuoteStocker? You can order the software right now. Or download the free trial version first.